A lot of people move to where jobs are. After retirement though, you are no longer tied to the place where your job is. You are finally free! But are you really? For one reason I'm not sure if people are really free to go anywhere they want is, you have now limited nest egg that needs to go extra mileage.
Bellingham has been known as a great place to retire. It got me thinking why that is. Here are a few reasons I gathered.
- Educational opportunities, heightened cultural environment - Western Washington University (WWU) and Whatcom community college, Bellingham Technical College provide continued education that is easily accessible.
- Recreation activities - Bellingham and its surrounding areas have abundant golf courses, lakes for fishing, outdoor trails and parks that retirees can enjoy.
- Great medical care - St. Joseph Medical Center is a nationally recognized hospital. Thanks to Bellingham's highly desirable living environment, it attracts high quality medical staff.
- Access to metropolitan area - Bellingham is located just south of Vancouver, BC and just north of Seattle. Bellingham International Airport offers easy breezy flight experience with cheap direct flights to Hawaii, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Palm Springs, San Diego, Long Beach etc.
- No state income tax - it contributes to the low cost living that retirees need.
- Mild 4 seasons - you can enjoy so many outdoor activities all seasons.
- Pet friendliness - Bellingham is chosen to be top 10 pet friendly cities in the U.S. by Dog Fancy magazine.
Bellingham fifth-best place to retire
"The 15 Best Places to Reinvent Your Life"
2nd Best "Dream Town" for boomers looking to retire
1 of 50 Most Alive and Clean Places to Retire In America
Where to Retire Magazine
Bellingham one of the best places for active seniors to live
If you looking to move to Bellingham to retire, please let me help you with your real estate needs. Call me at 360-296-3431